Monday, June 1, 2009

Raging hormones.... random thoughts

We're in the homestretch and it's doesn't appear as if Charlie is going to be making an early appearance. Tonight would be the perfect night for my water to break. Mom and Dad arrived this evening from MN, so we wouldn't have to wake Maudie and drop her off at Kristeen's house. Plus I would still get a story to tell Charlie every birthday that didn't start with: "Well, Dr. McHotty was scheduled at the hospital on June 3rd..."

As his birth approaches, I grow nostalgic about Maudie's birth and the first years of child rearing. Mandi posted some photos of Mavea's recent "firsts." Chris mentioned to her that although it's nice to savor the 'firsts' it's the lasts that you wish you could hold on to. One of my favorite children's books was given to Maudie from my Mom and it addresses this specific topic (Let Me Hold You Longer by Karen Kingsbury) Here is a snippet..
"Long ago you came to me, a miracle of firsts:
First smiles and teeth and baby steps,
a sunbeam on the burst.

But one day you will move away

and leave to me your past,
and I will be left thinking of
a lifetime of your lasts..
The last time when you ran to me,
still small enough to hold.
The last time that you said you'd marry
me when you grew old.
Precious, simple moments and
bright flashes from your past-
Would I have held on longer if
I'd known they were your last?"

Perhaps it's the hormones, or perhaps it's the fact that this is most likely my last pregnancy... I just want to stop a minute and enjoy the last precious moments just between Charlie and I before I share him with the rest of the world. Hmmm.

I'm almost finished with Charlies room now. I made a banner (some people call it a bunting) for over his crib, covered a lampshade, and made a pillow for the chair. I just need to find some frames for his prints and hang them. That probably won't happen until well after his birth.

Maudie's little whine sessions are more than I can handle these days. Her fits are like nails on a chalkboard to me. Therefore, she's been getting her "Nuk" a bit more than I'd like, but it keeps her quiet and happy. I'm beginning to think it's an addiction... what do you think?

1 comment:

  1. What a sweet post, Megan. I hope everything is going well for your family today. Happy Birthday, Charlie!!

    ReplyDelete